When recovering from a condition or disease that includes rehabilitation and physical therapy as part of your follow-up care, it is important to look for specialists who are highly trained in their fields. The comprehensive teams of expert rehabilitation and physical therapy specialists across MemorialCare from Orange County to Long Beach are devoted to maximize your independence and quality of life.
What does each rehabilitation and physical therapy specialist do?
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) or Physiatrist – A physician who is specialized in improving and restoring functional ability and quality of life.
In addition to physiatrist, other medical professionals may be involved in your recovery and therapy, including:
- Certified Hand Therapist (CHT) – A therapist who has become certified in upper extremity therapy.
- Physical Therapist (PT) – A physical therapist establishes a plan to improve functional mobility skills and teaches exercises designed to strength daily large motion actives.
- Occupational Therapist (OT) – The occupational therapist establishes a plan to improve the performance of daily tasks such as bathing and dressing. The occupational therapist may demonstrate how to use special equipment used in the home including shower/tub benches, grab bars and raised toilet seats.
- Speech and Language Therapist (ST) – A speech and language therapist establishes an improvement plan and teaches exercises designed to strength communication, cognitive and linguistic skills, hearing and swallowing abilities.
How to find a rehabilitation and physical therapy specialist
Talking to your primary care physician or specialist and asking them for a referral to a rehabilitation and physical therapist specialist or center is a good first step. Physiatrists can be searched in our Find a Doctor physician’s directory.