Today, the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion estimates that in the United States 25.8 million children and adults have diabetes. Nearly 2 million new cases are diagnosed each year. To help the people in our community, Long Beach Memorial has opened an outpatient Diabetes Clinic.
The Diabetes Clinic at Long Beach Memorial has a vested interest in you and your well-being concerning all aspects of your diabetes self-care. The goal of our education program is to facilitate the on-going process of gaining the knowledge, skill and ability necessary to manage your diabetes or to identify risk factors associated with diabetes in order to learn the necessary steps needed to prevent a diabetes diagnosis.
Diabetes Self-Management Training Program
This class series makes diabetes self-management easy to understand. Each class is taught by Long Beach Memorial's professional care team of Certified Diabetes Educators and Diabetes Resource Nurses.
The training programs include:
- Assessment of individual education needs.
- Explanation of diabetes medication and management.
- Blood glucose monitoring.
- Nutritious meal planning.
- Fitness motivation.
- Acute and long-term complications education and management.
- Skills that contribute to a healthier lifestyle.
- A physician's referral is required for participation in any of these programs. Most insurance plans will cover diabetes education.