For appointments & directions:
Cancer Risk & Prevention Program
at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center
The Cancer Risk & Prevention Program at the Todd Cancer Institute at Long Beach Memorial under the direction of Carey Cullinane, MD was established in 2003 to provide this important component of cancer care. Dr. Cullinane encourages anyone concerned about a genetic risk of cancer to take advantage of the program.
What is covered by genetic counseling?
Genetic counseling is a one to two hour consultation with a medical geneticist, advanced practice nurse in genetics, or genetic counselor. Counseling in most cases is covered by insurance. During this consultation the genetic specialist will:
- Construct a family tree.
- Analyze family cancer patterns.
- Explain how genes are inherited.
- Explain the difference between hereditary and sporadic cancer.
- Discuss the ethical, legal, and social implications associated with genetic testing.
- Help the patient decide if the benefits of genetic testing outweigh the risks.
- Interpret genetic test results.
- Provide individualized cancer risk analysis based on family history and/or genetic testing.