For directions & appointments:
Orthopedics TreatmentsOrthopedics is a medical specialty that focuses on the diagnosis, care and treatment of patients with disorders of the musculoskeletal system, which includes bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves.
Orthopedics is a specialty of immense breadth and variety. Orthopedists treat a wide variety of diseases and conditions, including:
- Fractures and dislocations
- Torn ligaments, sprains and strains
- Tendon injuries, pulled muscles and bursitis
- Ruptured disks, sciatica, low back pain and scoliosis
- Knock knees, bow legs, bunions and hammer toes
- Arthritis and osteoporosis
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and compression of nerves in the extremities.
- Bone tumors, muscular dystrophy and cerebral palsy
- Club foot and unequal leg length
- Abnormalities of the fingers and toes and growth abnormalities
- Orthopedic surgeons can replace a diseased joint with a prosthetic device (total joint replacement).
- Arthroscopy, the application of visualizing instruments to assist in the diagnosis and surgical treatment of internal joint diseases, has opened new horizons of therapy.
- Research is progressing on "growing" articular cartilage in joints, which may one day reduce the need for some people needing joint replacements.
- Exciting cellular research may enable orthopaedic surgeons to stimulate the growth of ligaments and bone in patients someday in the future.