On January 16, 2013, Long Beach Memorial was granted Magnet® designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Long Beach Memorial joins the Magnet community — a select group of 395 health care organizations out of nearly 6,000 U.S. health care organizations internationally to receive this distinct honor.
What is Magnet Designation?
- Magnet® designation represents the highest level of national recognition to health care organizations that demonstrate sustained excellence in nursing care in a healthy, collaborative and professional work environment
- ANCC conducts thorough evaluations of hospitals seeking recognition, judging proficiency and leadership in five key areas that are considered global issues in nursing and health care:
- Visionary leadership - transforming the organization - to meet changing needs
- Empowered staff properly prepared to face all challenges
- Competent, dedicated and skilled nurses
- Continued innovation within staff knowledge, clinical practice and systemic improvements
- Outcomes measurement systems in place throughout the entire organization
To achieve Magnet recognition, Long Beach Memorial passed a rigorous and lengthy process that demanded widespread participation from leadership and staff. The process began with the submission of an electronic application, followed by written documentation demonstrating qualitative and quantitative evidence regarding patient care and outcomes. The scores from the written documentation fell within a range of excellence and an on-site visit was scheduled to thoroughly assess Long Beach Memorial. After this rigorous on-site review, the Commission on Magnet reviewed the completed appraisal report and voted to determine whether Magnet recognition was to be granted.
Long Beach Memorial is proud to be a Magnet-recognized organization, as the credential reinforces our dedication to quality patient and family centered care.
Magnet-recognized organizations consistently demonstrate
- Higher patient satisfaction with nurse communication, availability of help
- Receipt of discharge information
- Lower risk of 30-day mortality
- Lower rates of falls
Long Beach Memorial is dedicated to providing our patients with the highest quality care, and this credential is confirmation of our success in this endeavor.